To meet our clients’ needs we operate an attractive and high-quality product tanker fleet that is active across all segments. Most of our vessels are operated in the spot market, primarily through spot market-oriented pools of similarly sized vessels, to maximize fleet utilization and revenues, as well as cyclical freight rate recoveries. We also adopt a portfolio management approach to fleet composition and development.
Safe and Sustainable Ship Recycling
Shipping is a global industry and it is only with international legislation can we enforce a standard approach to responsible ship recycling. In the absence of such global legislation, companies must step up. Hafnia is committed to safe and sustainable ship recycling and our policy is set out below.
Ship recycling reuses a high proportion of the ship structure by weight, by way of dismantling. This dismantling process, unfortunately, is the focus of much criticism and negative attention. It is widely associated with dangerous work practices, pollution to the environment, and high rates of incidents causing injuries or costing lives. For decades, many traditional ship recycling facilities practice extremely unsafe work processes.
All vessels belonging to Hafnia shall be recycled in safe and environmentally sound manner. Hafnia is committed to conducting business in an ethical, legal and socially responsible manner to prevent, reduce and minimize accidents, injuries and other adverse effects on human health and the environment caused by ship recycling and with an ultimate objective to eliminating accidents, injuries and other adverse effects on human health and the environment.
In order to achieve this
- Hafnia will act in accordance with all applicable regulations and to ensure ships are recycled in an auditable way.
- Hafnia is also responsible for ensuring that the Ship Recycling Facility acts in an ethical, legal and socially responsible manner. Before committing to Ship Recycling Facility, Hafnia needs to conduct due diligence audit.
- Hafnia will also be responsible for ships sold to Third Parties for recycling, and it shall be ensured that this process is also handled an ethical, legal and socially responsible manner. This is to ensure that ship recycling by third parties is carried out in safe and environmentally sound way.
Applicable Regulations and Best Practices
- Hong Kong International Convention for Safe & Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships, 2009
- EU-Ship Recycling Regulation
- Basel Convention
- European Waste Shipment Regulation (Regulation (EC) No 1013/2006)
- Other local regulations as applicable.
Most of our vessels are operated in the spot market, primarily through spot market-oriented pools of similarly sized vessels, to maximize fleet utilization and revenues, as well as cyclical freight rate recoveries. We both operate Handy, MR, and LR vessels.